SoF2 Developer occasionally playing SoF1 introduces himself!

An old player returning? A newbie? Introduce yourself!
TSOM Germany
Reactions: 1

SoF2 Developer occasionally playing SoF1 introduces himself!

Post by TSOM »

Hello,

I've been introduced to SoF game series with SoF2 in 2002, so it's not the first/original SoF but the second installment I played first. I didn't come across the opportunity to really try out the first SoF until a few years later, so my first few years of experience were exclusively occupied with SoF2. I guess that's the reason why didn't hate the second installment, because many of those who played the original SoF first (= the vast majority, I guess) became accustomed to it's run-and-gun playstyle and therefore disliked/loathed the second SoF for it's tactical/realism-like playstyle approach despite the fact that Raven Software intended to implement exactly this same playstyle for the first SoF, but didn't have the time and/or resources to do so, so they opted for the classical Doom/Quake-style run-and-gun approach.

Anyway, I never came across to fully play through the first SoF's campaign until the End of 2020, when I could finally complete it for the very first time - better late than never, I guess :biggrin: That timepoint also coincided with me starting to mod the second game (SoF2) when suddenly "rediscovering" it after over 15 years of abandonment and acquiring a sudden enthusiasm to mod it to my liking, so it's not really a coincidence. Already back in 2002/3, I often fantasized of modding/tweaking SoF2's singleplayer mode but didn't have neither the time, opportunities nor the necessary skill, which I now have! :cool:

Occasionally though, I like playing the original SoF both for a change and also for inspiration on how to improve the sequel even further - since I am having problems on getting SoF1 to run on my laptop with Win11 + Intel Core i9-13900H processor (6 normal cores + HT and 8 smaller cores), that's the current reason that has driven me to register on this forum :wink: I hope, I'll get the help and support necessary in order to get SoF1 to work :smile:

T.S.O.M. a.k.a. "The Spirit of Morpheus"
Sauron Netherlands
Reactions: 2

Re: SoF2 Developer occasionally playing SoF1 introduces himself!

Post by Sauron »

TSOM wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 04:02 because many of those who played the original SoF first (= the vast majority, I guess) became accustomed to it's run-and-gun playstyle and therefore disliked/loathed the second SoF for it's tactical/realism-like playstyle approach despite the fact that Raven Software intended to implement exactly this same playstyle for the first SoF, but didn't have the time and/or resources to do so, so they opted for the classical Doom/Quake-style run-and-gun approach.
For me this was very much it. In SoF1 you are zoooooming over the battlefield and in SoF2 I felt like a sloth crawling in slowmo.
Someone made maps from SoF1 in SoF2 and that was the only reason I even played it for more than 10hours.
TSOM wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 04:02 Anyway, I never came across to fully play through the first SoF's campaign until the End of 2020, when I could finally complete it for the very first time - better late than never
How about a re-play of the campaign with the upscaled graphics :tongue:
TSOM wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 04:02 I hope, I'll get the help and support necessary in order to get SoF1 to work :smile:
Am sure a few will be able to help out here.
Keifer Great Britain
Reactions: 16

Re: SoF2 Developer occasionally playing SoF1 introduces himself!

Post by Keifer »

Sauron wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 14:37
TSOM wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 04:02 because many of those who played the original SoF first (= the vast majority, I guess) became accustomed to it's run-and-gun playstyle and therefore disliked/loathed the second SoF for it's tactical/realism-like playstyle approach despite the fact that Raven Software intended to implement exactly this same playstyle for the first SoF, but didn't have the time and/or resources to do so, so they opted for the classical Doom/Quake-style run-and-gun approach.
For me this was very much it. In SoF1 you are zoooooming over the battlefield and in SoF2 I felt like a sloth crawling in slowmo.
Someone made maps from SoF1 in SoF2 and that was the only reason I even played it for more than 10hours.
Depending on what server mod you used on SoF2, this could be adjusted across the board, RPM was popular when i played it
This was many years ago, i was apart of Blades*Army (B*A) which had a customized version of RPM, essentially just a graphical overhaul of what pre-existed. Was fun to work on though, not sure whatever happened to my clan leader. Just disappeared one day, i would imagine him to be around 60-70 years old now.