'Speed Runners of Fortune'

General Discussion: SoF Community Forum.
Reactions: 16

'Speed Runners of Fortune'

Post by Keifer »

Hello,

It was bound to happen eventually, it's been a prominent community rising for some time now.
Introducing the dedicated players whom speed run SOF1 - Albeit not all of them however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjZCNZ5ifs
https://discord.com/invite/aNnQVTN

WR currently runs SoFPlus - as a standard - Unfortunately, I highly doubt there is a MP community among the 4 active players whom are currently speedrunning this game on this particular channel.

I'd like to see any MP player match or come close to this time, their only caveat is 1 singular command, cl_maxfps 150.
No autoexec bullshit - Think you can do better? :D :clap:
Reactions: 9

Re: 'Speed Runners of Fortune'

Post by Emirate »

That's quick. Impressive. Dude even outran Sabre.

Think it could be broken by someone actually mastering the movement/bunnyhops. Not an easy feat though and definitely not something i'm going to try :)

Post by Keifer »

Emirate wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 09:19 That's quick. Impressive. Dude even outran Sabre.

Think it could be broken by someone actually mastering the movement/bunnyhops. Not an easy feat though and definitely not something i'm going to try :)
You and I both haha, All we can do is support their efforts! :D
Reactions: 15

Post by Acadie »

Can't mentally handle Real Time Attack even if it's for watching someone. The pressure is overwhelming. I always been an Individual Level runner. I haven't reuploadeded my IL runs since my acc termination tho.

Post by Keifer »

I think with a week or so of research, knowing where to actually go on SP and the rocket glitches used - I think i could probably do this. I'd like the challenge of a no save run.

As much as I'd not want to do it, I really want to haha - I've been interested in making speedruns but the research and time is something i don't have; especially now.

Currently they're suffering from crashes on irq3a and sib2 however i cannot personally recreate these scenarios of crashes which is strange. I just don't crash at all however the sheer amount of AI loaded into each level, i wonder if it overflows due to the speed and the script spawn rate counteracting.

I think fixing the maps would be a disgrace to the run, I'd like to figure out the issue if there is one prevalent.

Post by Acadie »

Keifer wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 00:12 Currently they're suffering from crashes on irq3a and sib2 however i cannot personally recreate these scenarios of crashes which is strange. I just don't crash at all however the sheer amount of AI loaded into each level, i wonder if it overflows due to the speed and the script spawn rate counteracting.
It happens when your PADD meter is at max. Although, Dende found what was happening and why it crashes but I forgot completely.

Post by Keifer »

Well this was something that chargerbandit said.
I don't have the same issue where the PADD even triggers as much, to which he queried with me also if i was using the correct settings.
Obviously this a clear issue with the game and how it spawns AI and it's reaction around it.

I'm wondering now if its movement patterns, obviously on the MP side of things we strafe jump and have done for years including crouch jumping, I'm sceptical if it's a map run issue as opposed to a game breaking issue as the runners movement is less 'MP Fluid' (i shall call it) than an MP player moving to SP.

from what i understand they use defaults apart from chargerbandit using 120 fps which due to SP will be preset to 150 or highest reachable (as far as im aware due to the DC icon issue) - chargerbandit said he has tried all different variations of FPS values but as previously said, not sure if this is obtainable unless gl_swapinterval 1 and a hz of 60 is active.

cl_forward,side,upspeed are all default on 200 also although i'm not sure of their 'official' rules of a run as it'd be hard to prove anyway lol - Just a fun concept but still interesting how it's created.

Post by Acadie »

Keifer wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 23:43 I'm wondering now if its movement patterns, obviously on the MP side of things we strafe jump and have done for years including crouch jumping, I'm sceptical if it's a map run issue as opposed to a game breaking issue as the runners movement is less 'MP Fluid' (i shall call it) than an MP player moving to SP.
  • We have more years of experience from playing CTF in which we are sometimes speedrunning it to cap a flag.
  • Movements in the Single Player are obnoxiously hard to perform. Mainly because it's so narrow with bunch of detail in the space that it makes you prone to get stuck on something.
  • Even though the game is based on the Quake 2 engine. The internal settings (which can be reverse engineered) that Raven changed makes it more difficult to perform in general.
Keifer wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 23:43 cl_forward,side,upspeed are all default on 200 also although i'm not sure of their 'official' rules of a run as it'd be hard to prove anyway lol - Just a fun concept but still interesting how it's created.
I have a script that tells the delta of your position after X amount of time and I haven't found anything relevant past 150. Unless there's more to it that I'm missing or actually plain hard coded. But aside the frame rate which can impact your movement speed, I can't think of a cvar(s) who can actually benefit.
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

Acadie wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 18:51
Keifer wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 00:12 Currently they're suffering from crashes on irq3a and sib2 however i cannot personally recreate these scenarios of crashes which is strange. I just don't crash at all however the sheer amount of AI loaded into each level, i wonder if it overflows due to the speed and the script spawn rate counteracting.
It happens when your PADD meter is at max. Although, Dende found what was happening and why it crashes but I forgot completely.
I think it was a smoking tank

viewtopic.php?p=44096#p44096

Post by Acadie »

No this is a totally different thing.

Also, Dende never made a public statement about why SIB2 and IRQ3A crash.