SoF-related anything is broken. Let me explain...

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

SoF-related anything is broken. Let me explain...

Post by Helios8170 »

So I just picked up SoF the other night on GoG. From what I understand, this has made the universe very angry and has been unanimously decided as a bad move.
I tried to run it out the gate and it'll start... sort of. Instead of running like a normal program, as in, you click "Start" and the program comes front and center, it decides the best idea is to scurry away into the background and never show its face, no matter how much I coax it out. Every time I hit "Start" in GoG or cut the crap and run the exe, it opens a separate instance of SoF and I have to go into the Task Manager to exit each individual one.
Okay, fine. Old games tend to do this on Windows 10, and there's a community patch. Simple enough, right?
HA! Wrong! I tried the ol' "mohaa" fix too. Failed to loadsnd error message or something, but we all know the one. So that doesn't work.
I try installing SoF+, and while it gets the game running correctly, it doesn't want to cooperate with me on graphics. I try to get it to run at 2560x1440 but it's having none of it. "Use desktop resolution" does nothing and neither does the custom resolution. Not to mention it toys with the brightness and all that every time I try to change something, but that's peanuts compared to the whole deal. But the problems don't stop at the graphics, no sir. I try to open the SoF+ menu, and all it does is make an error sound, make the background stutter on a 3-frame loop, and make my cursor leave a trail. No, the menu doesn't open either.
So I try the community version. It does the same thing as running it through GoG.
I've also tried compatibility fixes, administrator runs, and running the patched exe with the standard exe to no avail.
This has all been done with clean installs, too. No file tomfoolery has been kept between them. Every new tactic I try, I completely reinstall (and sometimes GoG likes to drag its feet on that too, so I have to use Alt+F4 to make it cooperate).
If someone would please be so kind as to help out so your local internet teenager can get in on a piece of video game history and not waste his weekend, that'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys.
Edit: Turns out Dende's registry fix was what I needed. The only thing left to figure out now is how to stop the occasional sliding which I believe has been a problem for some in the past, but I can't find the thread(s) in question.
Reactions: 15

Re: SoF-related anything is broken. Let me explain...

Post by Acadie »

Here's a summary of the problems that I've tried to sort out from the wall of text in BB code.
Helios8170 wrote:
# Issue
1Every time I hit "Start" in GoG or cut the crap and run the exe, it opens a separate instance of SoF and I have to go into the Task Manager to exit each individual one.
2I tried the ol' "mohaa" fix too. Failed to loadsnd error message or something, but we all know the one. So that doesn't work.
Edit: Turns out Dende's registry fix was what I needed.
3I try installing SoF+, and while it gets the game running correctly, it doesn't want to cooperate with me on graphics. I try to get it to run at 2560x1440 but it's having none of it. "Use desktop resolution" does nothing and neither does the custom resolution.
4Not to mention it toys with the brightness and all that every time I try to change something
5I try to open the SoF+ menu, and all it does is make an error sound, make the background stutter on a 3-frame loop, and make mycursor leave a trail. No, the menu doesn't open either.
So I try the community version. It does the same thing as running it through GoG.
6I've also tried compatibility fixes, administrator runs, and running the patched exe with the standard exe to no avail.
7The only thing left to figure out now is how to stop the occasional sliding which I believe has been a problem for some in the past, but I can't find the thread(s) in question.
This has all been done with clean installs, too. No file tomfoolery has been kept between them. Every new tactic I try, I completely reinstall (and sometimes GoG likes to drag its feet on that too, so I have to use Alt+F4 to make it cooperate).
Reactions: 15

Re: SoF-related anything is broken. Let me explain...

Post by Acadie »

Helios8170 wrote:Every time I hit "Start" in GoG or cut the crap and run the exe, it opens a separate instance of SoF and I have to go into the Task Manager to exit each individual one.
We might need some further investigation. Similar circumstance is been occurring through Windows 7. But from now on, I'll leave it there.
Helios8170 wrote:I try installing SoF+, and while it gets the game running correctly, it doesn't want to cooperate with me on graphics. I try to get it to run at 2560x1440 but it's having none of it. "Use desktop resolution" does nothing and neither does the custom resolution.
Helios8170 wrote:Not to mention it toys with the brightness and all that every time I try to change something
Sanity check: The APPLY DEFAULTS button will reset all your previous changes to the game default settings. You can ignore this if the issue is from elsewhere.
Helios8170 wrote:I try to open the SoF+ menu, and all it does is make an error sound, make the background stutter on a 3-frame loop, and make mycursor leave a trail. No, the menu doesn't open either.
Is the error sound coming from Windows or from the game? If the sound is from the game, can you record it so we can get an idea of what kind of sound it is functionally designed for.
Helios8170 wrote:I've also tried compatibility fixes, administrator runs, and running the patched exe with the standard exe to no avail.
I believe this is some sort of universal no hope fix. Someone can correct me if this ever fixed the game for real.
Helios8170 wrote:The only thing left to figure out now is how to stop the occasional sliding which I believe has been a problem for some in the past, but I can't find the thread(s) in question.
Are you referring about your character in single player as if he was playing ice hockey? If yes, you might need to reduce your frame rate by using the Sofplus command _sp_cl_frame_delay. The value range from 1 to 50 so the ideal value to stop the sliding would be 11+